Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Two things:

I'm obviously working on a new template here. The archives don't work. Well, they work, but the images on the page don't show up. So, I need to figure out where I'm mis-typing the path (since they work on the home archive page). No big deal, 'cause no one reads them.

The one big thing--I got an answer back from B97. I had been avoiding the station because I was mad, but I started listening again last night. In 30 seconds, I was mad all over again at the anti-gay jokes I was hearing. The text of the *second* e-mail I sent to the station (the first one is a few entries lower), followed by the station's response:

To WBWB:

Last Thursday I sent you the below e-mail. Although I did not receive an acknowledgement, I decided to give your radio station another chance. Imagine my disgust when 30 seconds into my listening experience, I heard Troy make yet another anti-gay joke (about Linkin Park's "In the End" being Harvey Fierstein's theme song, a slur that I find completely appalling). You clearly do not have a policy against on-air slurs and bigotry, and from your lack of response to my previous e-mail, I can only trust that no future policy will be instated.

I am writing to let you know that my partner and I will no longer listen to B97. We can get the same playlist without the on-air bigotry from WENS, WTTS and WZPL. You should also know that I have started a list of businesses whose commercials I have heard on B97. As soon as possible, I will be contacting each of these businesses and informing them as to why I will no longer be patronizing their establishments. By buying air time from B97, they are tacitly approving of Troy's bigoted behavior, and I will not give my money to any such enterprise. I will also be contacting my employer, Indiana University, to discuss the school's association with a station that so obviously promotes anti-gay sentiments.


Sincerely,

JR

WBWB's response:

Dear JR;

Kevin Osborne, WBWB Program Director, provide me with a copy of your email. Thank you for taking the time to write us.

I want to apologize for our lack of response to your first email. We are very proud of the fact that we respond to our email inquiries in a timely fashion. We, somehow, did not receive you first email. Had we received it, we would have responded promptly. Please do not construe our lack of response to your email as a lack of interest on our part.

Neither Kevin, nor I heard either segment that you have mentioned. We apologize for offending you. As soon as Troy reports for work today I will speak with him personally about this matter and show him your letter.

I can assure you that WBWB is not interested in promoting intolerance in any form. Your email messages will serve to provide some very good conversation amongst our announcing staff about our "on-air" remarks and the need for sensitivity. This is an issue that our station will continue to work on. Again, thank you very much for the time you took to send us the email.

Susan, we sincerely apologize for offending you. We pride ourselves in being "in touch" with our listeners and will continue to strive to do so. Please do not hesitate to email me with any concerns you may have in the future. I am very interested in making our station better and appreciate your honest feedback. I want to encourage you to give our station a chance to take corrective action.

Thanks again for the time you invested in writing our station.

Personal Regards;

Sandy Zehr
General Manager
WBWB/WGCT Radio
Bloomington, IN

No comments: