Thursday, May 16, 2002

I'm not sure if congratulations are in order or not. I went up to Indy this evening for a meeting of the minds, and ended up being appointed to the board of directors of the soon-to-be-incorporated Indiana Women's Ice Hockey Federation. On one hand, this is exciting, because the Federation will be able to really promote ice hockey, and really get something going in the Midwest. It will be easier to get sponsors as a non-profit organization, and the potential for growth is great. On the other hand, I can't help but hear the death knell for my sports career. I feel like I've spent the last two weeks just trying to avoid the fact that my hockey playing days are almost over. I'm so bitter--I finally find something I want to do, and I have to stand here and just watch it slip through my fingers. And I'm doubly bitter because things were going so well: my weight is down, my strength is up, my aerobic conditioning is on the right track for camp in July. But I'm terrified the doctor is going to take one look at my knee tomorrow and tell me to give it up for good. I just want to play, just give me a few more years.

No comments: