Saturday, June 14, 2003

I saw John messing w/a CD on the side machine in the server room today, and assumed he was making a copy of it with the external CD-RW. I told him that I wasn't sure it was working, that I had re-installed the driver, but couldn't actually find the software that came with the CD drive, so I hadn't reinstalled it yet. He was giving me a "what the hell are you talking about?" look, so I just kind of shrugged and stopped trying to explain it.

Turns out he wasn't copying the CD, he was just putting on a music CD. I've been there two weeks, and I've never heard him listen to music. But there I was, sitting at my desk, and all the sudden pop music comes blasting out from the server room. And I'm thinking, "Dude. Surely we're not listening to Celine Dion cover Cyndi Lauper." But yeah, we were.

Two weeks over, and I've about worn myself out trying to work slower. About the third time John said, "If you keep working so fast, you're going to work yourself out of a job," I realized that a) he was right; and b) my multi-tasking was starting to freak him out.

No comments: