Friday, June 20, 2003

How do straight women do it? I mean, how do they feel about going out on a date, getting into a car with a man about whom they know nothing, and heading off to who knows where?

Driving home from Tell City today, my boss decided to take the back roads instead of drive up 37. Which was fine with me, I'm willing to drive through the hollers as long as there isn't any banjo music playing in the background. As we were driving out in the middle of nowhere, though, I did have the passing thought that we were taking the back way so he'd have some place to dump the body after he murdered me. Not that I really seriously thought he was a serial killer--I'm sure he'd be horrified to realize I had even a moment of "wait a minute!" going through my head--but I suppose the possibility is always there.

Anyway, it made me think a bit about what it must be like to have to get into a car with a strange man and go out on a first date. You're going out with a friend of a friend of a friend, and what do you really know about the guy? It must be hard to willingly put yourself in such a vulnerable position time and time again. I'm not sure I could do it.

No comments: