Saturday, July 05, 2003

Well....I feel a lot better today. Yesterday was just a bit too much, I guess. I don't need to record the pathetic details, as I don't think I'll forget how sick I felt. I knew I was in trouble when my teeth started chattering--it's just not normal to shiver when it's 95 degrees outside. But I learned a good lesson yesterday: don't let civic obligations make you do stupid things. Just because someone else thinks it's a good idea to have you stand in the sun all afternoon doesn't mean you have to do it.

Anyway.

Spent the evening crashed near the air conditioner, which kind of ruined our plans, but we had a nice, quiet dinner together, anyway. I know I didn't do any of the cooking, but I think I should get screen credit as the creative director, since the whole thing was my idea. The basil we planted a while ago has finally gotten to the point where we can use it, so we did. Today we counted 15 tomatoes in our garden. Catherine harvested our first bean. In a couple of days the peas and beans will really be ready to pick. If all the cucumbers make it, we're going to have cukes up to our ears. Squash, canteloupe, pumpkins, peppers--all flowering. I guess I'm going to have to find some way to use all this produce.

I also have to figure out some way to get all this paint off me. I spent the morning painting the interior of a house Habitat has reclaimed from its owners, who relocated across the country. Unfortunately, the place was trashed, so there is going to be a lot of rehab work to do on it before Habitat can use it for another family. So, we spent the morning priming the walls of every room but the kitchen, and since a lot of the painting was w/rollers overhead, my hair, glasses, arms and face are covered w/paint spray. I hope JaneAnne won't mind me showing up this evening blotched with Kilz.

A photo from yesterday. Brian and I spent the entire second concert in the full sun, but at least he was sitting down for most of it. I'm not doing it again next year, that's all I can say.

Freaking hot outside

No comments: