Sunday, July 06, 2003

Well, yes. I do think it's true. When used properly, hobbies are nothing more than a socially acceptable form of an eating disorder. If you pack enough events into your life--however altruistic those endeavors might seem--you no longer have time to worry about what else might be going on around/within you. No reading the newspaper, no watching the news, no surfing the web, no dealing w/politics, no dealing w/personal issues, you're just too busy and too distracted to think about reality. And when you finally do crack, well, you can chalk it up to plain and simple exhaustion. Works for me, anyway.

On a semi-related note, after listening to my former teammates rehash all the garbage everyone has been dealing w/for the past several months, I have come t the final conclusion that I am not playing this fall. If someone keeps a pick-up time open on Sunday nights, I might show up occasionally, and I'll definitely skate if they have another hockey class in B'town, or if Mike Berger has any clinics. But I'm not going to choose between playing for the Sirens, which I still consider "my team" even after all this, and the Renegades, the team made up of everyone who has quit/been kicked off the Sirens. Neither one is holding the moral high ground as far as I'm concerned, and I don't want to be involved w/either at this point. So, I'm sorry I'm going to have to let everyone down, sorry I have to disappoint everyone who supported me these past three seasons, but it's just not happening for me right now. I really need a break from all this angst.

No comments: