Thursday, July 10, 2003

One of the first things they teach you in Insomnia School is DON'T EVER TAKE A NAP. I understand why, I really do--taking a nap just further deviates from a "normal" sleeping schedule. However, I've always had a hard time figuring out what the point is of denying someone who has been awake for four days a few minutes rest just because it happens to be 4:00 p.m. instead of 4:00 a.m. Anyway, being the perfect insomnia student that I am, I've always resisted every napping impulse I've ever had on the grounds that 50,000 monkeys at 50,000 typewriters can't be wrong: it must be bad to nap if you have a sleeping disorder.

Nevertheless. I took a solid 22 minute nap today, and felt a lot better afterward. I didn't intend to sleep, I was just too worn out to get back off the bed after sitting down to call Catherine's office, and Jack had already decided to settle in on my chest, so it's not like I could disturb him. And, amazingly enough, the baby came in and slept on the bed, too. Luna never sleeps on the bed anymore, and this afternoon, not only was she on the bed, she was actually touching my leg. So, maybe it will disrupt my sleep tonight--as if anyone could ever tell exactly what it is that keeps me awake, anyway--but I think it was probably worth it.

Napping w/the cats is cool.

No comments: