Thursday, February 12, 2004

I wish.

In the past week, I've had two interviews, both for jobs I'd really, really like. One was for a technical writing job, and the other was for a building inspector job. I think I'd be good in both positions, but I'm trying not to hope for either one because, really, it seems like the odds are against me.

I don't know about this interview thing. Several times in the past few months I've left interviews feeling really good about my chances. In one case, the interviewer told me I would definitely be hearing from her in the next few days. Sadly, that was two months ago, and I haven't heard anything. In December, I sent my resume (unsolicited) to a local firm, and much to my surprise, they called me and asked me to come in to talk with them about what I could do for them. I thought the meeting went really well, the principal architect seemed sincerely interested in giving me some work, and she told me she'd be getting back to me right away. One month later....nothing.

What exactly am I doing wrong? My resume seems strong, at least strong enough to get me interviews. So what am I doing wrong in the face-to-face meetings? Bobby thinks I should call up one of these people and ask if they'd be willing to tell me what prevented them from selecting me, but I don't feel like I can do that. It's all a big mystery to me. I can't change my personality, or even the way I look in any substantial way. I could probably improve my posture, though. Maybe that will do the trick.

No comments: