Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Do I really need this degree?

Short--and honest--answer: no. But since my tuition is paid for this semester, apparently I'm going to finish it, even if it means having to take Communications 101. Initially, I wasn't too upset about having to take it--requirements are requirements, and I may have more credit hours than anyone else on the planet, but none of them were taken in the Communications department. So, I have to take it. Fine, but do the assignments have to be so STUPID?

We have to submit the lyrics to a "theme song," and then give a speech about them. I spent an hour sorting through CDs today, and couldn't find anything suitable. For one thing, fully half of our CDs aren't in English, so that leaves out a lot of my music collection. A large chunk of the remaining CDs is classical/orchestral/instrumental. That leaves a lot of pop music that has a good beat (and you can dance to it), but it doesn't have any meaning at all. And if it did, would I want to share it? No. I can think of a Matchbox 20 song and a U2 song that really sum up my personality pretty well, but why would I tell an auditorium full of strangers about something so personal?

Anyway, I did come up with a song, and the instructor is going to hate it, and that's great with me. From our collection musical soundtracks, we have Ethel Merman in Annie Get Your Gun, singing "Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)." That should not only give the class a good glimpse at my combative personality, it should scare the hell out of the instructor.

No comments: