Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Lunch hour.

Well, I thought I'd better write while I'm alert. I'm at the public library , which you will note was designed by I.M. Pei. That probably explains the best parts of the job: 1) I'm being given a lunch hour; and 2) I'm in one of the most architecturally distinct towns in the United States. The job seems fine. At least, I'm being given things to do, and keeping busy. In fact, on my first day (yesterday), I did more than I did during the entire semester of my internship at another firm. I've done some tech support (got a new computer up on the LAN, installed some drivers and software, backed up the file server) and some drafting. I've been to two different project sites. Yesterday afternoon I worked on cleaning up the site plan for a summer residence at a local lake. Right now, I'm working on the drawings for an Eddie Bauer demising (downsizing), which is my first commercial project ever. So, that's all good.

There are a few drawbacks to the job: it's a 77.8 mile commute (round trip) and I'm being seriously underpaid (it works out to the same as a pizza wage when you take into account the gas mileage and the huge tax penalty I'm being hit with as a contract employee--28%). Also, it is snowing outside, and my shoulder hurts, but those two conditions should be temporary. But, there's a good deli down the street, and the library is one block from the office, so I'm trying not to focus on the "could be better" part of the deal.

No comments: