Sunday, March 21, 2004

AC update.

The shoulder has been progressing fine. I got the go ahead from the doctor on Thursday to start moving my arm around, and I had to tell her that I'd been moving it around quite a lot already. In fact, I've only been wearing the sling to drive (which probably sounds crazy, tucking that extra hand away when I'm behind the wheel, but being in the car is really uncomfortable, as a driver and a passenger, and the sling helps). So, she said I could try vertical movement, and I had to tell her again, "Yeah, well, I just spent two days taking field measurements, so vertical movement is already happening." So, progressing fine.

Today, though, I found out what happens when you move your arm in exactly the manner prohibited by your physician. We were shopping when Catherine dropped something fragile. I automatically reached out to grab it...and went to my knees. I thought I was going to throw up right there in the store. Throw up or cry. Or both. Luckily, I didn't do either, but I stayed on the floor clutching my shoulder for awhile. Instinct is the enemy. I should have just let the damn thing break.

No comments: