Wednesday, August 27, 2003

You know, I'm pretty sure that posing in lacy underwear is a dishonour to your black belt. Her body, her decision, but I think I would respect Diana Lee Inosanto more as a martial artist if I didn't feel she was doing me a diservice as a woman. She had an interview in this month's Black Belt Magazine, and I thought she had some interesting things to say about how women are socialized to behave in a certain (submissive) manner. It's so hard to take her seriously, though. I'm not saying she shouldn't celebrate her body, I'm really not, but does she have to do it in a way that unquestionably invites the (male) gaze to devour her? She talks about the fact that men don't respect women in martial arts classes, but I really feel like she's contributing to the continued visualization of women as sexual objects, even in the dojang, where that shouldn't be happening.

I don't know, I just get so tired of women glamming it up for sports. The WNBA publicity this season was totally disgusting. It's all about snagging male viewers. Get the men, get the money. I understand the practicalities of the situation, but I don't have to like it.

No comments: