Monday, September 30, 2002

Three more descriptive geometry problems, and I can go to bed.

Another mile a minute weekend. Well, it would have been nice to run a mile a minute, but it took considerly longer on Saturday.

I know I've run a faster 5K, but practice on Friday left my legs a little empty. Overall, it was really hard work, the entire second mile was uphill, and about half the rest of the race was, too, not exactly ideal for recovering from on-ice sprints. Somewhere between the one and two mile mark I noticed Yolanda running near me. I used her to pace myself, and we ran a pretty good race together, but she kicked my butt at the finish. I don't know where she found the energy. So, that's kind of humbling, getting out-kicked by a cancer survivor. I started to keep up with her, but after about three paces, I thought, "Look, you haven't thrown up yet, do you really want to do it right at the finish?"

And actually, we both got beat by a guy running in a walking cast. How much does that suck?

I felt like I worked hard and really pushed it, but my time didn't really reflect that. I don't know what my official time is, probably at least 1:00 above the time I tracked, because it took me awhile to get to the start line after the timer started. Then at least another minute was full of trying to dodge around the walkers. I don't know why they let the walkers and runners out at the same time. Next time (next Saturday!) I'll start closer to the front of the pack.

Sometime around the two-mile mark, I was thinking, "No fucking way am I doing this next weekend," but I guess I've changed my mind.

Saturday afternoon Catherine helped me take some more measurements, and I've been chained to the computer ever since. I should have charged more--not much more, but more--because the second floor of one of the houses was really, really strange. The drawings aren't as clean as I would have liked them, but I only had a couple of hours Friday to do the measurements. I tried to get ahold of the realtor over the weekend to see if he'd let me back inside, but no dice. So, Steve is just going to have to make do. I'd be willing to continue to refine them over the next couple of weeks, free of charge, but I don't think he should be too upset since I had essentially 3 days to do a 3-week job. Deadline is noon tomorrow, and I can't do anything else until I plot them. Can't plot them until tomorrow because my printer won't handle that size paper. So, I just get to lay awake and worry about them all night instead.

But, I'm kind of impressed with myself. In 24 hours I've produced three floor plans, two front elevations, and a site plan. That's a lot of work in not a lot of time.

I think I wouldn't mind doing measured drawings for a living, but I would put some sort of clause in my contract for each job that said the occupants of the home cannot be home when I need to measure, nor can the realtor stand by and chat with me. It's torture for an excessively shy person to try and work while at the same time trying to deal with strangers. I had to change my clothes after I finished measuring Friday morning, I was drenched with panicky sweat. Maybe I can work with a team next summer and make my team members do all the talking.

Sucks that it was beautiful fall weather today and I was inside working!

No comments: