Monday, September 16, 2002

The real point: I'm going to be short-tempered until Catherine gets home from New York.
11:00 PM


[erasure]


2:36 PM


Well.

I could have handled that better. I'll comfort myself with the thought that next time I'll be prepared.

I was printing something out in the CAD lab, and a group of students was talking behind me. None of them were my own students, and they probably didn't know I was instructor since I just logged into the machine closest to the door instead of the instructor's machine.

They were all talking about taking physics and statics, and one guy said his physics teacher is queer as a three dollar bill. The other guy said, "You must have Ben, he is a big queer." Then the first kid said, "Yeah, we all took a vote and he's definitely queer." Unfortunately, I turned around and said the first thing that came to mind which was, "Dude, Ben is married and has a little kid." I like Ben a lot, and I'm not ashamed of my impulse to defend him, but I'm ashamed of what I said to do it. As if it was important that I prove he's not gay, that I offer evidence that he's *normal*. If I'd taken five seconds to assess the situation, maybe I would have responded differently. I'm not sure exactly what I should have said, though. I can think of a couple of flip responses that I wouldn't hesitate to spout off to a colleague, but I'm not sure what an adjunct faculty member is supposed to say to a student.

The things I need to learn.

1:45PM


But I will say, that JR chick is really starting to piss me off.
11:39 AM


And I have a lot of hockey things to rant about, but I promised myself I'd wait until I see how I feel after practice on Wednesday before I started complaining.
11:37 AM


I have so many things I want to bitch about I don't even know where to start. That may be a sign that I need an attitude adjustment.

I know you went to med school so you supposedly know more than me about this, but I *really* don't think you know what you're talking about. Last time, you were saying, "No, not carpal tunnel." The time before that, "Yes, it's carpal tunnel." The time before that, "No, not carpal tunnel." Now it's back to "Yes, it's carpal tunnel."

Let me explain something, dude. There is no way on god's green earth I'm going to let you slice into my palm with such an exhibition of indecision. Especially when you shrug and say, "Maybe it will help, and maybe it won't." That's supposed to make me want to give up using my hand for a month? You can't even give me a diagnosis, much less a prognosis. Fuck that noise.

And listen, maybe you should skim over my chart, or at least listen to me re-cap the situation. How can you hear me say, "Well, the injection really messed up my wrist, I haven't been able to use it at all since you injected it, I have no mobility and I can't grip anything" and then turn around three minutes later and say, "Well, the injections are working well, so..." What part of "you fucked up my wrist" are you interpreting as "working well"? I'd really like to know.

No comments: