Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Oh...and for those 5.3% of the people reading this journal that use Netscape 4? I'm sorry. I just haven't gotten around to fixing the css and fonts for you all. Maybe after camp.
9:54 PM


Wow. We took three small file boxes of books to the local used bookstore, a place that I rarely shop because it is so cluttered I feel as if I am about to be crushed every time I step through the front door. The owner rejected about 1/2 of a box because I have a bad habit of writing in school books (with pencil! It took years to get permission for such atrocious behavior from Catherine). Still, we ended up with $150.00 store credit. We grabbed several Civil War books--what else--to bring home with us, and still have over $100.00 left to spend. I guess I will just have to face the claustrophobia and go shopping.
9:43 PM


If I can make it through this week, I'll only have 2.5 weeks left at this job.

It took me almost 2 hours to straighten out all the file directories on my harddrive and network volume. What else am I going to do for the next 2.5 weeks?

3:00 PM


I have to say, I love the way Francis Strand uses the word "homosexualist" in his writing.
2:08 PM


Here's the thing--would it be so difficult for the gay and lesbian media to produce web pages that I can look at in the office? It's perfectly okay for me to browse the web when I'm on the desk, waiting for patrons to arrive, and I'd like to read the news. But I can't read any of the glbt-specific news sites because they are *always* splashed with half-naked men. It would be completely inappropriate for me to sit here and read a hetsex publication that had half-naked women all over it, and by golly, serious news websites (generally) don't pad the site with seductive, tight, young men or women. I'm all for sex, believe me, and I'm all for free expression of one's sexuality, and I'm all for reading the news and being sexual simultaneously if that's what you want to do. It doesn't work for me, though. If you think the content on your website is so important I should read it, package it in a way that is suitable for public consumption.

I know this is an old complaint without an easy solution. I remember when The Advocate started styling itself as a news magazine instead of sex magazine. I remember the hue and cry, and generally agreed with those protesting that the magazine was trying to suppress glbt sexuality in order to produce a more hetsex palatable publication. But you know, that was years and years ago, and really, publishers should have found a solution by now. Why does a news magazine have to be a sex magazine as well? Because the market won't support two separate magazines? Probably the news magazine would go under and people would keep buying the hot young men, I don't know.

So, maybe sex sells (yeah, yeah, don't make me trot out the feminist discourse on this one), but it doesn't sell to me, and it's not because I'm a prude. I want my serious sites/publications to be serious, and my sex sites/publications to be sexy. I don't want to combine them. I want to be kept up-to-date on the happenings in the glbt "community," but I have to say, if I can't read these sites when I have a lot of spare time on my hands (ie., at work), I won't read them at all.

8:37 AM


Far be it from me to criticize other people's life choices, but....geez. Jenna re-concussed herself last week, doing a knee-touch drill on the ice. I don't even understand what she was doing on the ice, she shouldn't have been skating. If that non-contact drill jarred her brain, she should take that as a sign to STAY OFF THE ICE. I don't know what the hell is going to happen at camp next week. I can't believe Amy is letting her go. Catherine would tie me to a post in the backyard before she'd let me deliberately re-injure myself like that.

No comments: