Tuesday, November 19, 2002

DECEMBER
MON 23 FLINT
THU 26 MISSOURI
FRI 27 ROCKFORD SEASON TICKET EXCHANGE NIGHT

JANUARY
FRI 03 FORT WAYNE
SUN 05 ADIRONDACK
FRI 10 ELMIRA
SAT 11 MISSOURI
FRI 17 ELMIRA
SAT 18 FLINT

7:49 PM


Because I was not rostered for the game Saturday afternoon (I take evil pleasure in knowing my team lost), we spent Saturday at the Bands of America Grand Nationals Championship at the Hoosierdome. Much better than playing hockey, as it turns out. I even managed to pick the winning band (Lassiter High School, Marietta, GA). Marching band is one of those events I can watch w/out ever regretting that I didn't pursue it further when I was younger. Sure, when I was really young, I wanted to be in the drum & bugle corps. like my brother, but then I discovered that marching band sucks. Never even joined the Husky Marching Band.

Anyway, the competition was fantastic. A surprising number of Indiana bands (and Lawrence Central came in 2nd with its "Spring" routine). Well, it's not something that can be described in text, it's all visual and aural and surprisingly interesting. Nothing like the Marching Hundred kind of marching band. And once again I'm prompted to say: American critics suck! Blast! was brilliant, and this weekend just solidified my position on that statement.

No comments: